Wednesday 3 February 2016

Olsteen and Colbert?!

Some of you saw this last night - Wow! Wow? Wow...
I'm not sure WHAT to think of this.


Either way, Stephen Colbert interviewed Joel Osteen on The Late Show.  This is in regards to his newest book, "The Power of I AM: Two Words That Will Change Your Life Today" Watch the whole interview below.


Colbert: I AM that I AM...This is a mystery to me.
Osteen: Mine is a different take on it...

That's 1 for Colbert.  He's right, "I AM" - and the use of that phrase, belongs to God.  It's His copyright.  Osteen takes it, twists it, and turns it into Psychology mixed with Theology.

Colbert: The power of positive...vision...for yourself...

I like how Colbert stops himself from saying "The power of positive thinking" - pretty much because that phrase probably IS copyrighted by a different author.

Colbert: Are you yourself a Denomination? Is there such a thing as Osteenians?
Osteen: I hope not!

That's 1 for Osteen.  Good for him making it all about HIM, publicly on The Tonight Show.


Colbert: (I'm) a Catholic...Have you tried "the Power of Crippling Guilt"?
Osteen: God is for you...you don't have to live in the guilt and condemnation

Another one for Osteen for sure!  That's a message that people not only resonate with, but also theologically need to hear.

(No, it's not actually Osteen in this pic...)



Colbert: Regardless of whether you ask, do people send you cash anyways?
Osteen: Yes they do!
Colbert: (Wipes his hands, like Pilate did with Jesus)


I'm not sure who to give this one too.  There is this pervading thought that most of the work that Televangelists do is in raising millions of dollars from their followers.  Osteen claims they don't ask for money, but people send it either way.  Is that a bad thing?  I don't think so.  But at the same time, Osteen isn't suffering either (aka book sales).

Colbert: You don't take a salary?! That's a nice suit man!
Osteen: That's why I brought you this book!




Colbert: Is there a Core Message you want people to take from this book?
Osteen: Don't be against yourself.  You're made in the image of God!

I think I've got to give this 1 to Osteen as well.  Although this is Psycho-babble, perhaps it is a way to engage the world and bring it closer to God?  Seeker sensitive idea?  

I like how he's trying to reach outside the 'church walls' he talks about.  I don't like how he takes a theological concept and twists it into something palatable for the masses (aka Oprah).  It was entertaining television last night and it was good to see evangelists break into the world of 'celebrity', but definitely popcorn theology.  Hopefully God will use it to open some people's hearts and minds to His will.


No comments:

Post a Comment